Image Map

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Scallop Curtains (Tutorial)

We haven't had real curtains in our living room since we moved to North Carolina...about a year ago. For a year we've just had these netted curtains we bought from Ikea up on our window. I finally decided to do something about it. 


I love how sweet and soft the scallops look on the curtains. So pretty! I love them!

Wanna make some? Okay!

I bought some really nice curtain panels from TJ Maxx (shown below).  These were my main fabric; this is what I sewed my scallops on.



Then I used some sheer curtain panels I bought from Ross and the original netted curtains from Ikea (shown below). These are what I used for the scallops.






Okay! This is a simple process, just repetitive. I grabbed a small plate, a ruler, and a pen. I used the plate to make half circles on the sheer & netted fabrics. You need two sets of scallop rows for each scallop layer (ie I cut one scallop row from the sheer AND the netted.)


Then I pinned the scallops together and sewed the scallops up, without sewing the very top. After you sewed them, clip the curves of the scallops so that when you turn then right side out, they'll lay flat.


Once you turn them right side out, attach to the curtain panels in layers, overlapping the scallops. For the very top I added ribbon to hide the yucky top that was visible. I also sewed up the sides of the curtains and trimmed off any excess scallop material.


Then you'll have some pretty, layered scallops!!



Sharing here: 36th AvenueFireflies and JellybeansShabby Creek Cottage, DIY Dreamer, 52 MantelsSeven Alive, Gluesticks, Crafty Soiree Lil Luna,  Somewhat SimpleIt's a Hodge Podge LifeKitchen Fun w/ my 3 SonsEvery Creative Endeavor, Sugar and Spice, See Vanessa Craft30 Handmade Days

8 comments:

  1. Love the scallop curtains! i always see a lot of ruffles, but never scallops, so thanks for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Good inspiration for a shower curtain I'm looking to re-do! Stop by for a visit sometime!
    Catherine
    tbc-tobecontinued.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, I just love that shower curtain too - pretty, pretty, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would be so cute in a baby girl's nursery that I'm working on! I can't sew a lick but I'm going to look for someone to help me do this!

    I pinned it on my window treatments board so more people would find your pics.


    Jan
    Unique Baby Nursery Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. PRETTY!! I love them! I don't think I would have thought to put the scollops on. They make the curtains. Thank you for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I am loving these!!

    PS. I'm also a contestant on American Crafter!! SO fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT idea! Thanks for linking up to Drab to Fab! This week's party is up again, so please come back and party some more with me! You can link up old or new :)
    Here's a link to the party:
    http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/03/drab-to-fab-link-up-8-features.html

    Have a great weekend!

    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!