Image Map

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Waterproof Snack Bags

Add your link to the Destination: Cutesy Monday link party HERE!
***********************

A friend of mine recently asked me to make her some reusable snack bags. I think every mom with kids needs reusable snack bags. Think of how many Ziplocs you could save!

We went to Joann's to look for some cute fabric and found adorable PUL from the Babyville Boutique collection. 

{What is PUL, you ask? It's the waterproof material used to make cloth diaper covers. It's awesome.}



How cute is that PUL?! This pack costs $15, but you'll get so much out of it! It's a great deal.

Sooo...why did we grab PUL instead of regular fabric? Because PUL is waterproof. And my friend has a one-year-old girl. I think EVERY mama not only needs reusable snack bags, but WATERPROOF reusable snack bags...priceless. Seriously.


Wanna make some? Awesome! Grab your PUL, some zippers, your sewing supplies, and you're ready!


First, cut out two identical squares or rectangles. It all depends on how big you want your snack bags. You have to make sure it's long enough for your zipper length. So if you want your snack bag to be 7x 6, cut your rectangles to be 8 x 7, so that you'll have some seam allowance.

*WARNING* Do NOT iron PUL! Just embrace the wrinkles.

Once you cut out your rectangles, grab your pinking shears {if you don't have some, GET SOME. You'll thank me later.}. Cut the edge that will go next to your zipper. Just do that one first. We'll do the rest later.


Fold over the pinked side and pin it to your zipper {see picture}. Use your zipper foot and sew the fabric to the zipper. Do this to the other side, too.


Your bag should look like the picture below.


Now before we do the next step, you need to unzip the zipper halfway. Like so:


Now, put right sides together, or pretty sides together. Pin it up and sew around the edges. 


After you've sewn up the edges, cut them with your pinking shears. Be careful not to cut the stitches you just made!




Turn it right side out and there you have it! A waterproof snack bag!



Sharing here: Mommy by Day, Crafter by Night, Not Just a Housewife, Today's Creative Blog Tip Junkie, Dwell on Joy, Fabric Bows & More, Someday CraftsLil Luna, Sew Woodsey, It's Overflowing, Rae Gun Ramblings36th Ave, Seven Alive, A Crafty Soiree, Fireflies & Jellybeans, Naptime Crafters, 30 Handmade Days, Every Creative Endeavor, Pocket Full of Pink,

28 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! I love finding different ways to use PUL! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just found my next sewing project {my third!}. Pinned! These will be great for my three boys, in a boy pattern of course! And, I just so happened to have these in my hands last week at the craft store so I know exactly what you are talking about! PLEASE come share this at my link party: http://www.dwellonjoy.com/2012/02/dwell-on-fridays-three.html. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for teaching us how to make <a href="http://www.customgrocerybags.com/>reusable bags</a>.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use for that Babyville PUL! I've seen it at JoAnn's and was planning on making some diapers, but I think I'll buy some for these snack bags too! I've been meaning to make them forever and just haven't done it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking today, as I grabbed yet another ziploc bag for crackers, that I should find some reusable bags. And then you posted this! Awesome! How do you clean them? In the washer with the laundry? Dishwasher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, I'm pretty sure you can throw them in the wash. You may want to just air dry them, but it wouldn't take long since they're not cotton-y.

      Delete
  6. Great idea - just Pinned it for my next sewing project!

    Sam
    http://cooksandcreates.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So they do make waterproof material! I've never seen it. Do you think they'd have it at a regular fabric store, we don't have JoAnns in Canada. I've been thinking if I could just find waterproof fabric (don't want food getting stale! I would think normal fabric would be to breathable and food would go stale,no?) I'd make myself some reusable baggies. I already wash ziplocs multiple times, but don't like the color they get... Thanks for this simple tutorial! One more reason to learn how my sewing machine works (which I got 2 Christmas' ago :s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gen! I think you could use regular fabric, you'd just have to wash it more often. Also, most stores carry PUL but they might not have cute PUL :( It should be mandatory!

      Delete
    2. I purchased mine on Amazon. http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/183-1932237-5271504?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=PUL+Fabric

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! Such a great idea! Beautiful fabric and a wonderful idea.
    - Christene Houston {Write Your Book in a Weekend Retreat Sponsor}
    Christenehouston.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great! I've made them before using the rip stop nylon as the lining, but that's still not waterproof. I don't know if you have a Hobby Lobby by you, but they've start selling this brand of PUL by the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great and I love the fabric you chose! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fabric is adorable and what a great idea this is. Thanks so much for sharing at our LInk It Up Thursday party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea. It is so true that ziplocs are so expensive. I do not like washing them. Must check if they sell PUL in Germny. Thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! Thanks for sharing...I'll have to look for some PUL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!
    12x16 ~ OVAL K-12 School Days Years Picture Photo Keepsake Frame/Baby's First Year Monthly Photo Picture Collage Frame ~ Fruitwood Stained Oak Frame

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my site :)
    Kamik Women's Jennifer Rain Boot

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea! I just found your blog and I'm in love with it! You have some great idea! I will definitely be coming back often! Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What if you don't have a zipper foot? Can you still make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely can; you just won't be able to get the stitch as close to the zipper as you would with a zipper foot :)

      Delete
  18. I love this.

    Curious though, about the pinking shears. The Babyville website says NOT to use pinking shears on PUL fabric. I'm not sure why. To be honest, I don't know much at all about pinking shears, period. I'm just curious why you find them to be helpful. I can't figure out why they wouldn't suggest using them on PUL either.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are really cute, but just so you all are aware, PUL is not foodsafe. If you were going to make snack bags with PUL I would put a layer of cotton in between the PUL and the food. Ripstop nylon will work, or beeswax-coated cotton. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did u use PUL for the liner as well?

    ReplyDelete
  21. i just found this over pinterest. wondering about the pinking shears too. what is the significance..(tho i already made an impulse buy and got one over ebay). and a little bit concerned about the comment from Copper. re: pul is not food safe. but i will definitely make some of these

    ReplyDelete
  22. Babyville has said that their PUL is food safe, that it has passed the required tests etc. However, if it is still a concern, perhaps lining with another fabric would feel safer? Altho honestly plastic baggie material is not completely safe either!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea! Just not sure where to get the PUL. I have a friend who was telling me about it. So hopefully, I can get some from her company.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!