Image Map

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tomato Artichoke Soup (Twigs & Smores)

A long time ago my sister-in-law Chelsea and my Mom came to visit my house in Utah.  My sister-in-law had traveled with my brother, but he was out of the house one night and so it was girls night in for us!

Chelsea made this soup and croutons and I was forever in love with it.  I've made it many times since and every time I do I realize all over again why I fell in love with it in the first place.

It has layers of tomato, artichoke, onion, garlic and is served with crispy, parmesan croutons.  What is funny to me is that it looks very fancy and impressive but is super easy to make!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.  It is definitely a recipe I will have and make forever.

Tomato Artichoke Soup:
4 T. olive oil
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 T. minced garlic (I used 1 heaping tsp. of the jarred, pre-done stuff)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme (you can add a little more if you like)
15 oz can artichoke hearts, finely chopped
28 oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
4 c. chicken broth (one large box)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 c. sour cream (light is fine)

Cheese Herbed Croutons:
1/2 loaf french bread, cut into cubes
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. dried Italian seasoning
1 c. shredded Parmesan cheese (this should be freshly grated from a parmesan wedge)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  For soup, heat oil in a large pot over medium to medium high heat.  Add onion and saute 5 minutes until softened.

Add garlic and thyme and saute another minute until nice and fragrant.

Add artichokes, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer over medium heat for at least 30 minutes (the longer you simmer this the more the flavors meld).

While the soup is simmering prepare the croutons.  In a large bowl combine bread cubes, olive oil, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese and toss to combine.  Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Lay out the bread mixture and evenly distribute it in a single layer.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bread and cheese gets light golden brown.  You don't want it burnt but you do want it to be toasted enough so that it has a nice crunch to it.  Check on it every few minutes. Set aside while you finish up the soup.

To finish soup add sour cream, stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.  At this point taste the soup and see if you need more salt or pepper.

Ladle into bowls and serve with croutons.  Don't add the croutons to your bowl because they get soggy really quick.  I like to serve my croutons on the side and then plop them in one by one as I take bites.  

Enjoy!

Sharing here: 36th Ave, See Vanessa Craft, Whipperberry,   




2 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! Found you via Whipperberry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!! Thanks for linking up to Do Something Crafty Friday!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!