My mom's birthday was approaching and I was really stumped as to what to get her. But then I looked at the gorgeous fabrics from my Tabletop Quilt and decided I had to make her something with that fabric. I thought a pillow was just the ticket.
Isn't it adorable? I love how it turned out! And it's pretty darn easy, especially if you have a layer cake sitting around. Wanna make one, too? Here's a quick tutorial:
1. I used a Travel Pillow from Wal-mart. I think it was $3-4. Way better than the prices at craft stores.
2. I used squares from a layer cake and cut them into 1-inch strips. If you don't have a layer cake you'll want to make sure your strips don't measure as tall as your pillow. Make them 4-5 inches shorter.
3. Next I sewed the strips together. Measure your pillow lengthwise so you know how many strips you'll need to sew together. I actually didn't sew enough, but I'll show you what I did later.
4. See, so I measured my strip length and it was a little short, so I added some matching fabric on the side. It ended up looking nice once it was all sewn up.
5. Next you'll need the gathered parts. I made strips about 3 inches wide and double the length I was working with. Sew on both long sides of the strips with the longest stitch on the sewing machine. Then pull the end strings to gather the fabric up. Make sure to do this to both sides. Your strips should look like this (sorry about the nasty ironing board!):
6. Next, attach the gathered strips to your original piece.
7. Almost done! You'll need a back piece. Sew the back piece to your front piece with the right sides together. Make sure to leave an open space big enough to stuff your pillow into.
8. Once you stuff your pillow in, sew it up! Clip the corners and cut off any excess fabric. And you'll have a new sweet accent pillow :)
Sharing here: Ginger Snap Crafts, Fabric Bows & More, Sew Woodsey, Lil Luna, Rae Gun Ramblings, Southern Lovely, 36th Ave, 52 Mantels, The Gilded Hare, Embracing Change, Seven Alive, Katie's Nesting Spot, One Artsy Mama,